Compliment a stranger. Send a friend a positive text. Bring flowers to a coworker.
Doing random acts of kindness is one of the best activities you can do with your children.
It’s a wonderful way for your family to bond, to have a lot of fun, and, most importantly, teach your children empathy, service and compassion.
No matter how big or small, any act of kindness can make a difference in someone’s life – even if all it accomplishes is bringing a smile to a stranger’s face.
Let’s face it: today’s world can be a disheartening place for any of us, especially children. And so, all of us at BRIDGES are spending the month of January encouraging our families in Palm Beach County and beyond to do random acts of kindness to make our community a bit nicer and friendlier.
Here is a list of 20 acts of kindness you and your family can do together:
1. Ask a stranger how they are feeling today, and actually listen to the answer.
2. Carry someone’s groceries to their car for them.
3. Put change in a vending machine.
4. Hold the door open for someone.
5. Feed the birds.
6. Bake dessert for a neighbor.
7. Check in on an elderly neighbor.
8. Donate outgrown clothes.
9. Talk to someone new at school.
10. Tell someone how much you love them.
11. Say hello to everyone you see.
12. Share a special toy with a friend.
13. Clean up your room without being asked.
14. If it’s a hot day, hand out cold bottles of water.
15. Pick up trash off the street.
16. Make a thank you card for the postal worker who delivers your mail.
17. Buy a spare umbrella and find someone who needs it on a rainy day.
18. Get silly glasses and wear them until you make someone laugh.
19. Use sidewalk chalk to write out a message of love.
20. Take fresh fruit or a small treat to your child’s daycare or send an apple to school for your child’s teacher.
There’s some really good ones here, right?!
We hope you get out there today and commit yourself to doing random acts of kindness. So pay it forward and shine on – let’s make the world a little brighter.